Monday, November 08, 2004

Snapshots of a childhood....

Theres a corner of my mind that I lazily drift into and settle down in, the corner wherein lies the downy comfort of my childhood, the place I go to whenever I want to give myself a soothing treat.......

Lazy Sunday afternoons..still and heavy with fragrances..a profusion of riotous colours splashed around, the fuschia pinks, whites, flaming oranges and magentas of the bouganvilleas which grew everywhere..wild and ever spreading..the burnt sienna savannah grass, tall enough to hide a young child playing hide-n-seek ! How many times had I run through it chasing butterflies or searching vainly for primroses hiding amongst them! Atop the tall grass perched tiny chirping sparrows, all under the sparkling bright azure African sky occasionally broken by wispy clouds. Sometimes there would be a burst of thunderous rain which would come suddenly and with such ferocity, leaving you soaked to the skin and vanishing just as suddenly and leaving behind a bright rainbow stretching endlessly and the lingering fragrance of wet soil......

There I'd be sitting in the window, looking outside, reaching out to pluck the 'Gul-mohar' flowers, from the branches which just about reached my window..and then, suddenly, I'd hear the sound I'd been so patiently waiting for all afternoon ! The tinkling sound of the bell of the ice-cream cart which the ice-cream man would be wheeling ! I'd jump off my perch and glance at my father and he'd look up and smile and off I'd be in a burst of energy..grab a shilling from my piggy bank and in a jiffy be next to the cart..ever so fast..!!!!..and there'd he be smiling, already ready with three ice-cream candy sticks in his hand..one for my aai and baba (mum and dad) each..and one for me...a sacred ritual almost..so special..so simple..and yet so magical, granting a life time of comfort and happiness.....

And today with a child, the exact same age as I was then, I so hope that he too would be granted the gift of happiness which he can burrow into whenever he needs it.....

6 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Blogger . : A : . said...

A beautiful post. I can almost 'see' it. Brings back memories of my own childhood. The irony is when you are a child you always want to grow up and then when you are grown up you keep remembering your childhood.

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger Desmond Goh said...

I see kids nowadays very much lacking in this type of childhood. I can see exactly what you wrote because I have experience the same type of childhood and to bring back this memory is like you said a soothing treat. My son is like you and me now, sitting infront of the computer, doing his homework, play games, chatting with his friends, trying to court a girl... whatever, infront of a computer. I always wonder, when they get to grow as old as we are, what would their life be, and what would their memory be of their childhood..

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger onewithcat said...

Oh, that was perfectly written. I was there with you!

I think there's nothing better than our own children eager to hear of what we were all about once, so that they too, may dream, and hope, look backward and forward at their own lives with wonder and satisfaction.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger G Shrivastava said...

Loved the visual imagery your words provoked!

I grew up in a city, so my childhood wasn't quite as idyllic as the one you've described - but those snatches of innocent, simple pleasure-filled moments existed nevertheless. What I find missing in kids these days is that innocence - they are like mini-adults. For me, a person who believes that there's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes, these mini-adults are really scary. I pray my kids won't be like that...want thier childhood to be filled with Enid Blytons, icecreams, outings to the countryside, games in the park, building sandcastles on the beach...that simple stuff that makes up "childhood"!

Happy Diwali to you and your family! May the festive season bring you many joys and much propserity!

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Pincushion said...

:A:- What you say is so true. Its so true of human nature to always 'want' what they don't have !

Desmond - I am experiencing the exact same that you are as a parent. I too find that my son conducts his life on the computer (tho' he hasn't got to the courting stage ..yet..as he's just 9..lol)..and yes I too worry about it..its a loss !

Alisa - Oh yes..I so loved listening to the tales my parents and evey my grandparents used to tell me about their childhood..:)..its a wonderful part of childhood.

Geetanjali - I understand perfectly what you mean by 'mini-adults', its happening everywhere ! Childhood seems to be getting shorter and shorter and such a big loss it is..

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Jyotsna said...

a wonderful picture you have woven with your words here Pins ...
i really beleive that our childhood and its memories remain with us forever and come back to us in snatches as we grow older :)
truly the "downy comfort of childhood"
loved this :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

MyShoutbox.com - Free Shoutbox! Who Links Here
Blogroll Me! Blog Search Engine

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

« ? Verbosity # »

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

Listed on Blogwise