Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Just Another Day.

[This is the beginning of a short story which I recently wrote, the link to which I've placed in the title, if you wish continue reading onto the whole...which I hope you will want to :)). Please DO give me feedback/critque on the same..and I hope I shall be entertain some more and in a better way too...enjoy!]


The mist was coming in thick and fast now. The crying of the seagulls moody and melancholic. The filtered blue light was fast dwindling; perhaps it was fitting that they should meet like this. He stood leaning against the ancient gaslight pole, the cigarette dwindling in his fingers, but tonight he’d have to prevent another life from dwindling into nothingness. He’d promised
her he’d speak to Ajit today. He pulled his coat tighter around him and turned up the corners of his collar, cursing the infernal London weather. He looked at his watch again. It was almost time. Why wasn’t he here yet? It occurred to him that Ajit might not come at all, but no, knowing him, he would, oh yes, he most definitely would.

Ajit spotted him immediately. Leaning against the gaslight pole careless and nonchalant. The eternal cigarette burning out. A muscle worked in his jaw as he walked slowly, in no hurry to close the gap between them. He felt the bile rising in him with ferocious intensity. His fists clenched. He willed himself to relax, compose himself, make his face expressionless. Better this way. He made a great show of adjusting the muffler under his coat and then wiping his glasses, brisk and business-like.


It had grown dark now, the gulls still circling but quieter now. The all-pervading silence creeping up the spine in icy tentacles. The embankment was completely deserted now, with only the pools of light making the seething mass of black water come alive. From some distance away, came the high-pitched sounds of drunken gaiety, spilling out occasionally from the pubs in flashes of white flesh and the tap tapping of stilettos........(contd)

13 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

I copied my original comment from your WORDSCAPE blogsite that I previously posted a couple of days ago. . .
you are not only very beautiful but also very talented. stop keep hiding your light under a bushel and publish girl, publish.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Pincushion said...

Oh! I hadn't realised you'd left a comment there! I hadn't switched my comment-notification on there..will do now ...

and hey *blush* that bit about beauty..errr..thanks!

As for publishing I'd love to..but don't even know how to go about doing it and whether anyone will publish me..if at all..lol!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger mermaid said...

Only read the beginning, but I will certainly read the rest. In my opinion, the hardest part of a short story is setting the scene, and catching the reader's attention.

You've piqued my curiosity...

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger 100hands said...

:)

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

sorry. didn't mean to embarrass you. don't be silly about publishing. go indie or do it yourself. roger stevens does.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Pincushion said...

Mermaid-Thank you! I've been petrified really and hence on it for days and i am still quaking...thanks for the vote of confidence!

100hands-Heyy..welcome aboard and thankyou for the sweet smile! May u become the one with 1000hands ;)

CJ-Awwww...you are sweet! I'll definitely give it a go..but first to write some more!

Finnegan-Gosh! What do I say..except that thankyou for giving such a boost to my confidence :)) Glad you think so!

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Pincushion said...

I am getting a lot of 'that' suggestion, lol!(Pretty Freudian, eh?!!) Well..err..its supposed to be a jug with a (last) drop of water trickling down! Or at least that was the idea..though I don't know how successful I have been!
:)

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger gulnaz said...

fantastic story! u should publish it and feel good about yourself...talented, beautiful lady. :)

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger diana christine said...

beautiful...wonderful. your character development is strong and your descriptive ability to create a scene is exquisite. and, of course, the direction of the story caught me by surprise. i would recommend changing "mass of beautiful naked flesh" to something a little more poetic. i, too, recommend publishing. i don't know the fiction market very well but your best first step is the "writer's market" as a resource. if you decide to publish, drop me a line and i will give you my edits (such as a couple of incorrect "its vs it's" and "loosing" for "losing"). i rarely offer a free edit job (my schedule is far too heavy) but i would be happy to do this for you.

best wishes on your first publication.

and love sent your way...

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Pincushion said...

Gulnaz-Awwww...you are very kind, my dear! Thank you :))

Feminine expressions-Welcome aboard! Wonderful to see you here! I am so touched by your offer and thank you also for your thoughtful advice. I shall surely take it up and will drop you a line sooooon!
Thank you and loads of love n huggs to u too :))

Finns!!! LOL-I am nearly falling of my chair in laughter. I mean, honestly, I painted it becoz i was then drinking a glass of water, Literally! and I saw the waterdrops sparkling as they caught the sun's light..and I thought hey, why not paint something like this and I did! I never thought it wd lead to this..oh boy! *grins* I sure am enjoying the reactions though ;)

As for CJ, I'd sure love it if my picture 'inspired' him, You listening CJ?!! ;)

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Pincushion said...

Finns!*droppin of my chair!!!*

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Pincushion said...

ugggh typo..i meant "off" ;)

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Pincushion said...

*grins*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

MyShoutbox.com - Free Shoutbox! Who Links Here
Blogroll Me! Blog Search Engine

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

« ? Verbosity # »

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

Listed on Blogwise